Monday, April 23, 2012

Answering Softly


A soft answer turns away wrath,
But a harsh word stirs up anger.

--Proverbs 15:1 (NKJV)


 Lord of Love,

Help me to be ever mindful that my words have the power to build up or to tear down my relationships with others.

When someone comes against me with strong and vengeful anger, remind me that their passion is driven by their need to be listened to and understood.

Remind me that how I respond to that anger is critical in helping diffuse their anger and in preventing damage to our relationship.

Remind me that by listening first, I can begin to understand their complaint, and that if I purpose to continue to hear them out, they will begin to realize that I truly want to understand what has them upset.

Help me then with calm and quiet words restate my understanding of their complaint back to them, so that they are assured that their complaint has been heard and so that I will be able to constructively respond.

Only then give me soft words to say in love to explain those things that the other person might not have been aware of which led to their wrath against me.

Or, if their anger against me is justified, give me the grace to openly confess any wrong doing on my part, ask for forgiveness and seek to set things right, so that our relationship might be not only restored, but strengthened.

Help me to be ever mindful that my words have the power to build up or to tear down my relationships with others.

In the name of Jesus, Amen.

1 comment: