Friday, December 9, 2011

I Want To Live...Purposefully

The end of all things is near. Therefore be alert and of sober mind so that you may pray.
  
Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins.

Offer hospitality to one another without grumbling. 

Each of you should use whatever gift you have received to serve others, as faithful stewards of God’s grace in its various forms. 

If anyone speaks, they should do so as one who speaks the very words of God. 

If anyone serves, they should do so with the strength God provides, so that in all things God may be praised through Jesus Christ. 

To him be the glory and the power for ever and ever. Amen. 

--I Peter 4:7-11 (NIV)

Most Merciful God,

Because the end of all things as we know them is near…and soon Jesus will return…help me to remain clear-minded and exercise self-control in all things.  As I rely on Your Spirit, lead me to keep Your purpose for me clearly defined, so that I can remain in fellowship with You and pray effectively, in the chaos of these difficult times.

Most importantly, help me to love others deeply, with an intense and unfailing love, forgiving and disregarding their sins and offenses against me, so that I am doing my part to prevent strife and promote unity.

Help me to willingly offer my hospitality to every child of God, without complaining, as a representative of God Himself.

Help me to be faithful to use the gifts You have given me to be a blessing in the lives of others, in whatever ways You direct me, by Your strength and grace within me.

When I speak, fill my mouth with Your words and not my own. 

When I am used by You to serve others, let it be clear to all that any good that comes through me is not according to my own strength or ability, but only by Your hand at work through me, so that all praise will be to Your son, Jesus Christ.

For He alone is worthy of all the glory and power forever and ever.

In the name of Jesus, Amen.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you Robert for all your prayer thoughts. Your blog is valuable to me.
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. This quote from IPeter 4 always raises for me the question of the meaning of "near". It was written almost 2000 years ago. Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is hard to grasp what "near" may mean to the God of the infinite. Relative to that perspective, our lives here on Earth are very brief and that makes what we do with the time we are given, so important.

    ReplyDelete