Friday, December 23, 2011

You Are God, And I Am Not

“Do not judge, or you too will be judged. 

For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.

Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? 

How can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? 

You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye."
--Matthew 7:1-5 (NIV)


Just and Holy God,

Help me to keep this straight: that You are God, and I am not.

Remind me that I have no business having a self righteous, critical spirit about me.

Remind me that it is not my place to jump on every opportunity to point out the faults and failures of others and pronounce judgment on them for their shortcomings.

Remind me that I would not want to be treated that way by others…with no mercy or love.

Remind me that as I allow Your Holy Spirit to guide me to the truth, that You will help me properly discern the character of others, so that I can make right choices between good and bad people as well as good and bad things.

Remind me that as the character of others is revealed to me, that I must allow the love of God to cause compassion for that person to rise up in me…rather than condemnation.

Remind me that I must be continually examining my own thoughts, motives and actions, willingly submitting myself for correction and redirection, so that I can be available, for You to use me, to help others…not as I might choose, but as You direct.

Help me to keep this straight: that You are God, and I am not.
In the name of Jesus, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment