Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Conquer Evil, Do Good


Dear friends, never take revenge. Leave that to the righteous anger of God. For the Scriptures say,

“I will take revenge;
    I will pay them back,”
    says the Lord.

Instead, 

“If your enemies are hungry, feed them.
    If they are thirsty, give them something to drink.
In doing this, you will heap
    burning coals of shame on their heads.”

Don’t let evil conquer you, but conquer evil by doing good.


--Romans 12:19-21 (NLT)



Dear Lord,

In a society feeding ravenously on revenge, help me to see that you have given me a better way to conquer evil.

I know that themes of revenge permeate our angry society.  This is evident in the popularity of the vast number of television shows, movies and video games which employ a “get even” plot.

I know this is also evident in my own personal, everyday encounters with others who I perceive have acted in an aggressive manner toward me—those times when I find myself trying to justify my own irresponsible actions and disguise them as appropriate responses. 

But Your Word tells me that I should not take revenge. Instead I should leave that responsibility to You, for You alone can righteously judge and repay the evil that is done to me, as well as that evil which is done by me.

You call me to think another way…the way of Your love. You call me to show forth, through my actions, Your love for my enemies. You call me to walk a higher path and to not allow myself to be pulled down into ugly ways of this world.

Your Word shows me that by walking in this love, and demonstrating this love in my actions, I have already overcome the evil that surrounds me, and I may have played a part in turning the heart of my enemies away from evil.

In a society feeding ravenously on revenge, help me to see that you have given me a better way to conquer evil.

In the name of Jesus, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment