Wednesday, January 11, 2012

In A Big Rush

My dear brothers and sisters, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, because human anger does not produce the righteousness that God desires.

--James 1:19-20 (NIV)


Patient and Merciful God,


You know that all too often, I am in a big rush to speak…spouting out my own ideas, advice and opinions…rather than being in a big rush to listen, so that I might learn…and thereby not only gain knowledge, but also wisdom.


You know that it is only by that gained knowledge and wisdom, that I am able to allow You, by Your Holy Spirit, to speak through me the life-giving words that You would say.


You know that all too often, I am not only willing, but even eager, to take up any offered offense and then nuture it into anger…rather than to refuse to be offended, knowing that offense does not come from You.


You know that I must refuse offense and remain at peace…within myself and in union with others…if I am ever to produce the righteousness that You not only desire from me, but require of me.


So help me, Lord, to:


Listen first and listen well,
To speak life-giving words inspired by Your Spirit,
To reject any perceived offense,

And to hold onto my peace, that I might please You in all that I do.


In the name of Jesus, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment